Add Registration Closed Date to Ongoing, Custom & Recurring Shifts

There is no Registration Closed Date option for ongoing, custom or recurring shifts. My agency has a recurring shift, but I need to know at least a week in advance if someone has signed up so that I can find another volunteer if the need is unfilled. I cannot effectively communicate with new volunteers if they sign up on the day of a shift. Communicating with volunteers prior to when they are supposed to volunteer is essential in managing volunteers effectively and ensuring they have the best volunteer experience possible, while also making the best use of my time and my organization's resources.

As it is now, in order to create a need with a Registration Closed Date I will have to create multiple Happens On Needs for the same task that happens at the same time on the same day each week. 

If you think this feature would be helpful for your agency, please 'like' this post so that it gets upvoted for the development team to actually consider.

Thank you.

28 people like this idea

This is a common sense addition that would be very beneficial and streamlined for agency managers. I hope the development team agrees!

7 people like this

Please share more options! 

1 person likes this

Hello!

An ongoing need is, by definition, one that never expires, and this is why we don't have a "registration closed" date for it

For the shift needs, are you envisioning entering a specific "closed" date for each shift, or maybe a blanket "two days before shift" kind of thing? I can see the benefit of closing registration a certain number of days before each shift, but I'm trying to figure out what this would look like from the agency manager or site manager perspective.

For the time being, the best approach to take (if closing the shifts a week prior is a high priority) would be to use the "Happens On" need type in conjunction with the Clone Need" feature.

In the meantime, I can write up an enhancement request for this. If you can give me more details about how you'd like this to look, and also about the types of needs that are requiring sign-ups a week or more in advance, that would help me make a stronger case for it. Thanks!

1 person likes this

Thanks for your response, Nina. A blanket "two days before shift" would probably be the easiest and most efficient solution. 

The issue with simply Cloning a Need is that someone would still have to edit each need's specific date. Our organization is a food pantry. We distribute food four days a week at the same time each day, thus making the Food Distribution Need a recurring shift. 

Please let me know if any further clarification would be helpful. Thank you for your consideration.

-Emily

2 people like this

Emily, thanks for the additional clarification! I dug through our enhancement archives and found that someone else has requested this in the past, so I've updated that request with your comments and will bring it back up for discussion in our next enhancement meeting. Thanks!

Nina

2 people like this

Great. Thanks so much!

You're very welcome!

It would be helpful to close shifts a few days ahead of the event so coordinators may finalize their plans. I use customized shifts so confirmation messages are able to include shift times. Thanks! 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the details on how you'd like this feature to work Tony! I'll make sure to update our records to add your voice. 

All the best, 

Ali 

We would also like this feature incorporated.  Any update the status?

1 person likes this

Hi Terri, thanks for voicing your support. I don't have any new news on this, but I will add your request to our enhancements board and be sure to bring this up in the next enhancement meeting!

This is an absolute must-have for our organization. We need to close signups a day in advance so volunteers don't just show up for a shift. It is cumbersome for us to set up multiple Happens On needs on the same day.

2 people like this

I totally feel your pain Becki! This seems like a common sense feature for volunteer coordinators, and I think it would be the same for anyone who has ever hosted an event. You simply can't accommodate someone if they don't RSVP (or in this case, respond to a need) prior to the day of. 

1 person likes this

Hi all, 

Can you tell me a little more about how you envision this working? One of the main advantages of recurring shift needs is the time saving aspect of being able to create multiple shifts at once. Are you thinking of setting a registration closed date for each shift, or something else?

For example, say we have 10 shifts, one on every Tuesday for the next 10 weeks. Would you like to be able to say "registration 24 hours before the shift" for every shift in the series? 

For custom shifts, this may be as straightforward as setting a registration closed date for each shift, but I doubt anyone would want to set a registration closed date for each shift in a series of 100 recurring shifts. Let me know what you are thinking!

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment