Add Registration Closed Date to Ongoing, Custom & Recurring Shifts

There is no Registration Closed Date option for ongoing, custom or recurring shifts. My agency has a recurring shift, but I need to know at least a week in advance if someone has signed up so that I can find another volunteer if the need is unfilled. I cannot effectively communicate with new volunteers if they sign up on the day of a shift. Communicating with volunteers prior to when they are supposed to volunteer is essential in managing volunteers effectively and ensuring they have the best volunteer experience possible, while also making the best use of my time and my organization's resources.

As it is now, in order to create a need with a Registration Closed Date I will have to create multiple Happens On Needs for the same task that happens at the same time on the same day each week. 

If you think this feature would be helpful for your agency, please 'like' this post so that it gets upvoted for the development team to actually consider.

Thank you.

28 people like this idea

Hi all, 

Can you tell me a little more about how you envision this working? One of the main advantages of recurring shift needs is the time saving aspect of being able to create multiple shifts at once. Are you thinking of setting a registration closed date for each shift, or something else?

For example, say we have 10 shifts, one on every Tuesday for the next 10 weeks. Would you like to be able to say "registration 24 hours before the shift" for every shift in the series? 

For custom shifts, this may be as straightforward as setting a registration closed date for each shift, but I doubt anyone would want to set a registration closed date for each shift in a series of 100 recurring shifts. Let me know what you are thinking!

1 person likes this

For those of you who would also like this change but are looking for a temporary "solution", I have started pasting the following statement in my Needs Descriptions:

"**YOU MUST REGISTER AT LEAST 3 BUSINESS DAYS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR DESIRED VOLUNTEER SHIFT**"

If you are a Volunteer Manager then you probably realize that this statement will not be read, or if it is read, it will not be applied. I am simply using it as a disclaimer for when people do register for a need last minute and then don't understand why they did not receive confirmation and details from me about their volunteer shift.

Eli, yes, option 2 would be a workable solution. Thank you.

We need a registration close date for custom shifts. Last minute responses to a shift reek havoc on what the construction volunteer manager has planned for the day. I'll pass along the information about reducing the capacity as a work around, but being able to specify a registration close date at the time of shift creation would allow the volunteer manager make the best use of their time and would make your product more intuitive to use for program and site managers.

Thanks

Hi Yvonne, 

Thank you for adding your support! I will make sure your support is noted. 

I hope you have a great rest of your day!

Autum

I agree with the first person who commented on this post 4 years ago. If you are truly looking at the needs of organizations in the social sector, its a no brainer that it would require the option of a cut off time for volunteers to register. No volunteer manager likes having someone show up 2 minutes before they are trying to leave the office because they thought they could sign up for something last minute that was still open. This is a basic need for volunteer managers anywhere, like water to the body.

Hi Terri, thanks for voicing your support. I don't have any new news on this, but I will add your request to our enhancements board and be sure to bring this up in the next enhancement meeting!

Our organization would benefit from having shifts close (and not allow additional signups) after a certain point so our site supervisor can know who to expect the next day. As a work around they can update the number of volunteers need the night before but an easier way would be most welcome.

Hi, Bethany and Angie,

I appreciate your addition here! I'll make sure to add this support to the documented enhancement.

Best,
Maia Price
Galaxy Digital CX

Thank you!

I agree with this for recurring and custom shifts. However, if you are using the "ongoing" option and you want a registration closed date, you are not using the site correctly.

Hello everyone! 

Thank you as always for your feedback. We know that this is an issue for a number of our site managers, and that many of you would like to see a way to close shift/need registration. As I promised in my last post here, I brought the request in front of my team in our enhancement review meeting last week. We recognize that this is important to a lot of you, and I am going to continue to think through the scope of adding this, any technical barriers we might run into, and how this might impact other areas of the software.  

I see that Emily and Angie like solution 2 from my last post, and I would like to hear feedback from others who are invested in this to make sure that we are able to deliver the best solution here!

If anyone else has a strong preference on how they would like to see this problem solved, I would encourage you to post which of the two potential solutions that have come up in this forum you like best. The two that have emerged are :

1. An option to set the registration closed date for each individual  shift. This makes sense for custom shifts shifts, but could be extremely  time-consuming for recurring shifts.

2. A blanket rule that  applies to all shifts in a need, for example "close registration 2 days  out". This would be the most efficient way of setting up a registration  close date, but would be a bit less flexible in that you would have the  same rule apply to all custom shifts in a a need.

Thanks everyone for engaging with this, I look forward to hearing what you think!

I prefer the blanket rule with the ability to set how far in advance all shifts are closed.

Angela,

I agree with you COMPLETELY! Thanks for adding your voice to this thread. Because this continues to be an issue that has not been addressed it makes me think the product team doesn't really understand the needs of volunteer managers...

-Emily

Login or Signup to post a comment