Add Registration Closed Date to Ongoing, Custom & Recurring Shifts

There is no Registration Closed Date option for ongoing, custom or recurring shifts. My agency has a recurring shift, but I need to know at least a week in advance if someone has signed up so that I can find another volunteer if the need is unfilled. I cannot effectively communicate with new volunteers if they sign up on the day of a shift. Communicating with volunteers prior to when they are supposed to volunteer is essential in managing volunteers effectively and ensuring they have the best volunteer experience possible, while also making the best use of my time and my organization's resources.

As it is now, in order to create a need with a Registration Closed Date I will have to create multiple Happens On Needs for the same task that happens at the same time on the same day each week. 

If you think this feature would be helpful for your agency, please 'like' this post so that it gets upvoted for the development team to actually consider.

Thank you.

28 people like this idea

Thank you!

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue. It is not efficient not to be able to effectively communicate with a volunteer that registers the night before the event and can create logistical chaos the day of, no one has time to give them duty details and orientation during the event. The option to establish a cut-off date for recurring shifts would solve this issue.

Thanks for listening:)

2 people like this

Hi Adrienne! 

I have added your support for this product suggestion to the list, and will make sure to bring it to the team next time we discuss enhancements! 

In the meantime, I have been doing some thinking on this, and have a workaround that might be helpful in preventing this situation. 

If you want to close registration for a specific shift the day before it is set to happen, one thing I would look into is going into the need, and editing the shift capacity so that there are no open slots left. This will block new volunteers from responding to the need, so you can maintain an accurate headcount from the day before the shift up until it actually happens. 

I hope that helps, and thanks as always for writing in!

2 people like this

Hi Eli!

This is a helpful tip - I'd like to add a product suggestion to make this task easier/more streamlined.  We have some initiatives with 30-50 opportunities attached.  It's currently very time consuming to manually change the capacity for each opportunity.  My suggestion is that there would be a way to change the capacity in a bulk action - preferably at both the Agency/Program Manager level and Site Manager. Something like "Mark As Full." And of course an action to undo it when a mistake is made. :)

Thank you!

Cristy - National MS Society

1 person likes this

Hi, Cristy,

Thanks so much for adding this here. Just to make sure I'm clarifying what I pass over to our enhancements team -- for each shift: "the ability to use a checkbox selection to "Mark As Full" and not allow any volunteer to respond." Does that sound correct?

I appreciate your insight here.

Best,

Maia Price
Galaxy Digital CX

Hi Maia!

I was thinking more at the opportunity level - something similar to how site managers and program managers can mark multiple opportunities public/private or active/inactive.

Our current workaround is to shift all opportunities from public to private so the "closed" opportunities are no longer visible to volunteers.

I want to echo my support for having a registration close option for shift-based needs!

An option to set a specific number of hours before each shift begins would be great.

1 person likes this

I'd love to throw in my own support for an option to close registration a certain amount of time before shifts begin! I print out the schedule on my way out each night because our warehouse crew comes in several hours before me in the mornings, and would love to be able to close registration when I leave so I know they have an accurate count of how many volunteers to expect in the morning before I arrive to make any corrections. 

It would be especially awesome if it was some sort of flexible option, like a numerical dropdown from 1-24 or 30, and then the option to select "hours before" or "days before" to get more precise with the cutoffs. 

Thanks!

1 person likes this

Hi Cristy, Amelea, and Grace, 

Thanks for your additional thoughts on this! I like that there is some great conversation on how to best serve the request. 

From these conversations, this is what I'll pass on. 

"The ability to provide a registration closed date/time for date-based duration types (Happens On, Multi-Date, Runs Until, and Shift-Based Needs.

More specifically, the ability to have each shift have their own registration closed date/time."

Thank you!

Best,
Maia Price
Galaxy Digital CX

I agree with this for recurring and custom shifts. However, if you are using the "ongoing" option and you want a registration closed date, you are not using the site correctly.

Hi, Nick,

Thanks for adding your support and thoughts to this request! I'll be sure to notate this with the current enhancement. 

Best,
Maia Price
Galaxy Digital CX

Has there been any progress or updates on this?

2 people like this

Hi Amelea, 

Thank you for reaching out! Although I do not have an update at this time, we will definitely update you if we make any changes to the duration expirations! Like my colleagues have mentioned earlier in the thread, there are many factors to consider about changing this feature. We want to consider every which way that this would affect our clients and exactly what this would look like.

Thank you for your patience, and I hope you are having a great day! 

I agree with the first person who commented on this post 4 years ago. If you are truly looking at the needs of organizations in the social sector, its a no brainer that it would require the option of a cut off time for volunteers to register. No volunteer manager likes having someone show up 2 minutes before they are trying to leave the office because they thought they could sign up for something last minute that was still open. This is a basic need for volunteer managers anywhere, like water to the body.

Hi there!

Thank you for your added support of this suggestion! I will make sure to note your support for this functionality. 

I hope you have a great rest of your day!

Autum

Login or Signup to post a comment