Description Field for Custom Shifts

May I suggest having a simple free form field as part of the set up on the custom shifts for a need. This way when the shifts show below they have what the shift is for. I think this would be a wonderful feature for many of my nonprofits that currently use signup genius.  

Ex: Currently

X Nov 7, 2019 at 7:00am for 2 hours with 4 slots.

X Nov 7, 2019 at 12:00pm for 2 hours with 4 slots.

If add free flow description field: 

X Ticket Sales Nov 7, 2019 at 7:00am for 2 hours with 4 slots.

X Parking Lot Nov 7, 2019 at 12:00pm for 2 hours with 4 slots.

Please let me know if you all are thinking of something like this. 

Thanks

Valerie

3 people like this idea

Hi there!

It sounds like you want to be able to add a title or description to each individual shift in a multi-shift need. Can you tell me a bit more about how you would want to use this? From your example, it sounds like you may have a particular need with several different kinds of work being done. I'd love to know what you're thinking here!

Yes that is exactly what I want to do. Many of my nonprofits are using Sign-up Genius to post their needs and using us a secondary source. They say it is because of the design of that system. 

They can put info in that describes what that shift will be doing for example: 

Ticket sales 1:00-2:00 11/20/19

Parking 1:00-2:00 11/20/19

This way the volunteer can sign up for the type of job they would like to help with instead of just signing up for a shift and not knowing what they will be dong. 

Valerie

This would actually be great for me as well. We have to split up needs for volunteers doing the slightly different venue roles because the title of the role changes, and it would be very helpful if we could list them all on the same custom shift. 

Thanks! 

Hi Loudoun and Katherine,

Have you tried our Initiatives feature on your site? Initiatives is a great tool where you basically create an “umbrella” for a variety of different situations (such as your multi-faceted event, Loudoun, or your venue, Katherine) to then attach specific Needs to. That way you can keep them all in one place, while still being sure to keep the different roles separate.

This would be super helpful to the volunteer because you can be more specific within the Need description about their role, you can easily update these roles individually if they change, and your Needs will be more visible/searchable on your site. This is helpful on your end, too, because it keeps your data organized and ultimately gives you more flexibility when it comes to finding volunteers that best suit the job!

Katherine, if your venue roles are only slightly different, I’m happy to say that we do have a nifty cloning tool you can use to make your posting simpler! It’s a great way to copy the work you have done already for one Need and be able to slightly edit it to create another.

Let me know what you think!
Shonie