Reserving Spots for Youth Volunteers

Hello, 

In order for volunteers to reserve spots for youth volunteers, we have been asking them to create a team and reserve blank spots. But sometimes their whole group is on a team and so they need to communicate with the team leader and I need to decrease the number of spots that adult volunteers can register for to accommodate the number of youth coming.

We need a better way for volunteers to reserve spots for volunteers under 18. So far the system isn't working well for this with the qualifications we have in place. 

Hi Holly, 

I hope you're having a nice week! From my understanding, you have Qualifications that prevent youth volunteers to sign up for Opportunities, so you have a Team response with reserved slots for the unqualified youth volunteers. This solution doesn't work when there are changes within the Team that require communicating with the Team Leader. 

One possible solution may be how your Qualifications are being set up. If they are set up to stop youth volunteers from responding to an Opportunity, it may be helpful to adjust these Qualifications to allow youth registration. If this is not an option, you may want to create a Private Opportunity that you send to youths to sign up for the Opportunity, with a public Opportunity for the adults who want to sign up as well. 

If there are changes within the system that you think would be helpful to address this, I would love to hear them! Would the changes be to Qualifications, Teams, or how the system handles youth volunteers? 

Thank you!

Autum

Hi Autum!

Since youth have to be at least 13 to have an account (I think it's a law?) and we allow children as young as 8 years old, they are unable to create accounts. So the only way guardians can reserve spots for children 8-12 is to have blank spots on a team (because the total amount of people matters, not just the number of adults). But if they are already on a team (I've been making all of our private opportunities teams so that the team leader is in charge of having all their people signed up, not me!), they have to notify the team leader who has to keep track somehow or release spots so that adults don't fill up those blank spots. 

In signup genius, there was a way to register for a opportunity and enter the number of people you were going to bring. That would be a great solution if it was used exclusively for youth. That way the spots are "taken" or "reserved" for youth but the user doesn't have to mess with creating a team (especially if they're already on a team). We would still have to communicate clearly that if you want to reserve spots for adults, you still need to make a team, invite them, and they need to create accounts.

Hi Holly. 

Thank you for explaining your use case! You are absolutely correct that we require users to be at least 13 to volunteer through the Galaxy Digital software, and this is a law. Currently the only way for volunteers to sign up for an Opportunity for more than one person is to create a Team Response. I am happy to make a request that we create a different system for signing up yourself and additional youth volunteers if that sounds like the best solution for you. Is that what you are hoping for or am I missing the mark? 

Hi Autum, yes you've got it! I would love an alternate and easier way for guardians to indicate that they intend to bring people under 18 (especially for 8-12 year olds). Thank you!!

Hi Holly, 

I will add that to the enhancements board for the developers to review! Thank you!

Login or Signup to post a comment