Implemented

'Duplicate Hours Popup' Change

Hello,

The latest update to have a 'Duplicate Hours Popup' is causing some issues on-site for us.  We use a private 'Ongoing Opportunity' for our resale store volunteers to log their hours when they come and go, and the Duplicate Hours Popup is popping up every time a volunteer uses the kiosk to check in.  Our Store volunteers join us on-site every single day, so this is a nuisance to them!

It would be helpful to have the option to turn this popup on/off based on our individual needs as an organization.  Or, there should be some other option for ongoing shifts that would NOT prompt the popup.

We can't change our opportunity to any other type - the 'ongoing' type has been working great, and everyone just got used to it. 

Thank you!

IMG-4575.jpg
(2.4 MB)

4 people like this idea

Hello,

I 100% agree with this statement above. I have many older volunteers who volunteer with "on-going" volunteer opportunities and they are very confused and voicing their complaints about this. Also, as the volunteer manager, I also log hours that volunteers write on our sign in sheet as they do not use internet/ don't want to, and to have this pop up every. single. time. is a huge annoyance. When you have volunteers who log hours daily or for on-going needs especially, they are super confused when it says they've logged 1062.50 hours since Jan. 22, 2020 are they sure they want to log more. 

There needs to be a way to let the Administrators turn this off or at least take it off of ongoing hours. It's a too much.

hours.png
(14.9 KB)

Hi Courtney and Allison,

Thank you both for sharing your feedback here in the forums! We've updated the duplicate hours pop-up to include a "Prevent this pop-up from appearing for 24 hours" option. Volunteers can now select that when they encounter the pop-up and they won't be shown the pop-up at all for the 24 hours!

This should minimize the frustration of seeing it each time they log hours, while still ensuring that duplicate hours can be avoided when logging to a shifted need.

Thank you again,

Caitlin!

Hi Caitlin, I am happy your team is looking into this issue, but unfortunately, a 24 hour turn off doesn't really do much when volunteers are usually only volunteering once a day or sometimes once a week or once every two weeks. It still will pop up for them when they log those hours to an on-going opportunity/shift. 

Thanks, 

Courtney

My frequent volunteers are annoyed by this pop-up too.  Please make it stop!!

Hi Everyone, 

The purpose and intent of the pop-up is to ensure that your data is as clean as possible. It displays the number of hours that were most recently logged and the date the volunteer said they did the hours. This information in the pop up tells them, yes I am logging new hours, or no, whoops! I am re-logging something that has already been logged. 

Our solution during the post-release iteration phase was to ensure that the intended mitigation of duplicate hours is still being resolved, while also providing a way to prevent the pop up for those users that are logging multiple hours entries for an ongoing need in a single sitting. 

We are hearing the feedback from some clients that the potential to know that duplicate hours are being prevented is not worth the extra click the pop up has brought to the process volunteers use to log their hours. We appreciate this feedback and have documented the request to add a site setting where each client site can choose to enable or disable the duplicate hours pop-up so that this can be considered in our enhancement processes in the future. Your feedback continues to help us make the product better. 

If there is a different solution you'd like to request, please let us know! 

Warmly, 

Ali Pettigrew

Director of Customer Experience

Please let me know when you implement this fix. I'm starting to get complaints from my volunteers as well!

Same. I agree.

We expect people to log hours multiple times for ongoing needs. The pop up is confusing volunteers.

Yes, we are receiving complaints as well.

The hours submission and verification process is really all we need to prevent duplicate hours from being logged. This is unnecessary.

Hi Nicholas, thanks for writing in! 

We have heard lots of feedback about the hours popup since its release, and to make sure that volunteers don't get the popup every time they add hours, we have added an option to disable the warning for 24 hours. This way, if someone is filling out a time sheet for several different dates for an ongoing opportunity, they won't see the popup for each hours entry. Thanks for your feedback, and have a great day!

It is confusing our interns as well. They use the manual logging hours feature the most - and I get a lot of questions and interns who think they're doing it wrong. It would be great if there was an option to choose to enable or disable the pop-up. Or, if that is not possible, even adding some text to the pop-up that said "Note: this popup may be occurring because you are replying multiple times to an ongoing event". I'm sure it can be said more eloquently, but my point is that something that told the users why this pop-up was occurring would be useful as well. Not as ideal as having an enable/disable feature on the back-end, but better than nothing.

1 person likes this

Hi Melissa, 

Thank you for adding your voice to the chorus! I will take note of your suggestion to include a permanent disable button for this pop up. 

Thank you!

Autum

Yes. Please permanently disable. This gets on the nerves of older volunteers the most. I am tired of hearing their complaints. This is why the hours verification process on the site exists.

We do not need this pop up. Disabling for 24 hours? This only provides a benefit to people who are entering hours manually for ongoing opportunities. Do you expect volunteers to volunteer more than once per day?

This was a problem that never needed to be fixed. Please return this feature to how it was before.

Hi Nick, 

Thank you for adding your voice to this suggestion! I will make a note that this is not a feature that you would like to be on our software. While I have you, I did want to take a moment to tell you a little about our thinking for this pop up. 

Many of the organizations that use our software depend on funding from grants. These grants are vital to their operations! Grant applications will include a lot of reporting requirements, and Hours is an important one. We were hearing multiple concerns that Hours reporting was inaccurate because volunteers would log their hours, forget, and then log their hours again. This created a serious problem for sites that depend on accurate reporting for grant applications! The pop up was our way to address this issue.

I understand that this pop up wasn't the best solution for your site, so I was curious if you think disabling the pop up for a longer period of time would be a workable solution. I would love to hear your thoughts so we can improve this functionality for everyone! 

All this to say that we very much appreciate your feedback, and we will definitely take note. Thank you and have a great day!

Best,

Autum

Hello Autumn,

I understand why you would want to put something like this in, and the reasoning makes sense. If hours were submitted without having to go to volunteer coordinators for approval, it would be a great addition.

However, the volunteer coordinators have the power to approve/deny hours. If they see that volunteers have already submitted hours for that shift, the remedy (again, already built in) is to deny the hours. Ultimately, the verification of hours is on the volunteer coordinators. In the rare instance where volunteers duplicate their hour entry, the volunteer coordinator should be the one to catch it.

This addition duplicates processes already on the site and externalizes the burden on the volunteers who use the site. This is a UX issue that didn't exist before to solve a problem that has already been addressed by the verification of hours by the organization managers.

Do I think that longer disable durations would solve the problem? Unless one of the options is to disable permanently, the problem will persist.

Thank you,

Nick

Login or Signup to post a comment