Adding Day of Week to "Date/Time" Section on Needs Page

I've noticed that we have many volunteers who can only volunteer on certain days of the week. When looking at the "Needs" page, it lists all of our volunteer opportunities, and on the "Happens On" needs, it lists things such as "Happens On June 23, 2022." I think it would be great if for the "Happens On" needs, it could include the day of the week in the date/time section. For example, it would instead say "Happens On Thursday, June 23, 2022." I realize that there is a calendar view as well, but I think this would be a nice easy way for people to see the day of the week when scrolling through all our volunteer opportunities. I've received some feedback from our organization's staff that they would like this feature as well.

2 people like this idea

Hi Melissa,

Good morning to you!

It seems like you would like to add the specific day of the week to the description of Happens On Needs so that when a volunteer is viewing Needs from the grid view they can conveniently view the day of the week that Need is happening on (see below).

As a recap, I have your suggestion as the following: keep the current description, but also to add the day of the week, something similar to, Happens On Thursday, June 23, 2022. 

Thanks Melissa, if that summarizes your product suggestion let me know and I can go ahead and share that info with my team!

Good morning Steve - yes, that summarizes it perfectly! It would be great if shift-based events had this feature as well - but I am not sure exactly what that would look like, considering different shifts can be on different days of the week. That is why I mainly suggested it for "Happens On" events, as this would be simpler. That being said, if your team has any ideas on how to implement this for shift-based needs, that would be amazing as well. Thanks for looking into this!

Good morning to you!

Yes you're exactly right, introducing this same functionality into our shift-based opportunities does present a unique challenge in the fact that a recurring shift may have 100 shifts (just as an example) and displaying each of those shifts on the landing page may prove to be a different design and user experience challenge.

That being said, I do want to make sure to capture your product suggestion, so that I can deliver that to my team to review. I will hold off on sharing this with my team so that I can make sure to capture your product suggestion in its entirety. Would you like to adjust your current product suggestion to encompass more than just Happens On Needs, to also include other Duration Types? If so just let me know what your product suggestion would be in that case and I'm more than happy to adjust our current rough draft together before sharing it with my team. 

Let me know what direction you would like to go in and I will do my best to make that happen for you.

Thanks Melissa!

Login or Signup to post a comment