Note: This article's focus is on the next-generation Service Learning Module (SLM), released by Galaxy Digital in late 2017/early 2018. For information on the old version (Legacy SLM), click here. The SLM is an add-on module and is not part of a standard Connect platform. SLM features are only available to clients who have purchased the module.
This article is for site managers using the Service Learning Module (SLM). For more general information on the SLM, click here.
As a site manager, you are responsible for setting up blocks and courses for use in the SLM. This article focuses on the setup and management of courses from your site manager panel.
Note: Before setting up courses, it's a good idea to set up the block (academic period or term) to which those courses will belong.
This article covers the following topics:
Once you have set up a course, use articles in the Related Articles section at the bottom of this page to add instructors and students, add reflection questions, and assign agencies and needs to the course.
Your Connect platform has a feature called user groups, which allows you to group volunteers into units who can associate their need responses (and subsequently their volunteer hours) with a particular group. Outside of SLM, user groups may be company clubs, churches, or nonprofit groups. Within SLM, user groups typically take the form of courses.
Note: If you wish to override the term User Group, contact our Customer Care team with your request. This article uses the default term throughout in the instructions and screenshots.
Students can access their courses from their My User Groups link in their profile menu.
Once they've clicked to view needs for a specific course, they'll be taken to a page the features their course banner (which includes a course icon, title, and description) and any needs that have been assigned to the course. Here's an example:
You will learn more about creating the banner for the user group in the following section on setting up a course or user group.
Setting up a Course or User Group
Because courses are a kind of user group, all courses are managed in the Manage User Groups are of your site manager panel, accessed from Volunteerism > User Groups.
From this area, you can view existing courses and add and edit courses. This is also your area for course management, which includes:
- Assigning instructors to a course
- Adding or removing students
- Adding reflection questions (instructors can do this also)
- Assigning agencies and needs to courses
- Entering the course title, description, and banner specifications
This article focuses on creating courses and editing basic course information. Links for other areas of course management are provided in the Related Articles section at the bottom of this page.
To add or edit a course:
- From your site manager panel, go to Volunteerism > User Groups.
- To add a course, click the Add New User Group button. To edit an existing course, click on the course title in the table of courses.
- Complete or update the fields in the form that appears:
Field Description Status Select Active to make the course accessible to agencies, instructors, and the students who will be assigned to it. Type This option is only available to sites that have SLM. If this user group is to be a course with one or more assigned leaders (instructors), select SLM. This selection results in a new Service Learning section to this form.
Note: If the site will be a regular, non-SLM user group, click here to learn more about managing user groups in general.
Title Type the course title, including the section as needed. Description The course description appears on the front end of the site in the user group banner. Allowed Domains If you enter a domain (such as @galaxydigital.com), then any new users who join your site will be automatically added to the SLM user group. For courses, we recommend leaving this field blank. Icon For the user group banner (which is displayed in the student view, on the course page that lists all needs assigned to the course), select the icon that will appear with the course title. Color Select or enter the hex code (color) for the user group banner. Text Color Select whether to have white or black text for the user group banner. Block (SLM user groups only) Select the applicable block (academic term) from the dropdown. Goal (SLM user groups only) Indicate the volunteerism goal (number of volunteer hours per student) for this course. Approved Hours Only (SLM user groups only) Switch to On to require that a student's volunteer hours be approved by an instructor, agency manager, or site manager in order to count toward their course goal. Respond By Date (SLM user groups only) Select the date by which students must respond to needs for this course. The "respond by" date must be within the block range. After this date, students will not be able to associate the course with a need response.
- Save your changes by clicking Create User Group or Update User Group, as applicable.
Now that the SLM user group has been saved, it will appear in the table of courses (the Manage User Groups table). You can now add instructors and students, add custom questions for student reflections, and assign agencies and needs to the SLM user group. For further instructions, see Related Articles below.
Note: To deactivate a course, change its status to Inactive. Deactivated courses are not available to front-end users.
If a block is going to include multiple sections of a single course, the Clone Course feature enables you to copy information quickly and easily from one course to another.
What Happens When a Course is Cloned
When a course is cloned, the following information is copied from the original course to the new one:
- Type, title, description, banners, and allowed domains
Note: The title of the cloned user group will include the word "copy" in parentheses.
- Block, goal, approval requirement setting, and "Respond by" date
- Reflection questions
- User group leaders (i.e., course instructors)
- Assigned agencies and needs
The students are not copied to the new course.
The cloned course automatically has a status of Pending.
How to Clone a Course
To clone an existing course:
- From your site manager panel, go to Volunteerism > User Groups.
- Click on the course (user group) you wish to clone.
- At the bottom of the Update User Group form, click Clone User Group.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to clone the user group. The user group is copied, and the Title in the new form has the word "copy" in parentheses at the end. All other user group information is identical to original.
- Make changes to the user group fields as needed, remembering to remove the word "copy" in the title.
- Click Update User Group to save the new information.
When you are ready to make the course available on your site, change the status to Active.
- Adding Instructors and Students to a Course
- Adding Reflection Questions to a Course
- Assigning an Agency to a Course
- Assigning a Need to a Course
For an overview of the SLM, see Service Learning on Your Connect Platform.