This article applies to all Connect platform site managers.
As the site manager for your Connect platform, you have several options for volunteer registrations on your site:
- Indicate which email domains are allowed to have accounts on your site
- Control what registration steps new volunteers will see
- Decide what information your volunteers must enter in order to join the site, and which items should be mandatory
- Add custom registration questions as needed
- Hide the default user-profile items from registration, the user profile, or both
Note: If your system uses single sign-on (SSO) and you're concerned that the registration options aren't clear for your students, agency managers, and other volunteers, you can contact support to request that instructions be added to the registration page.
Accessing User Registration Controls
User registration fields are controlled from your manager panel. To access this part of your manager panel, click Settings in utility bar and select User Registration.
Note: Once you have made changes to the items in this area, remember to click the applicable button to submit your changes.
Setting Up Allowed Domains
If you wish to limit registrations to a particular email domain (for example, if you are a corporation using Corporate Connect and want only your employees to be able to sign up), you can specify registration permissions. Only those users with the email suffixes you enter will be able to open an account on your site.
To set user registration permissions:
- From your manager panel, go to Settings > User Registration.
- Type the accepted email suffix into the User Registration Permissions field. Here's an example:
Note: As shown above, an email suffix is the part of an email address beginning with the @ symbol. For example, in the email address firstname.lastname@example.org, the email suffix is @galaxydigital.com. If a user with an accepted email suffix attempts to update their user profile with a different email address (one that does not have the required suffix), they will not be able to save the updated profile.
- Click Save Options.
- Repeat Step 2 for additional accepted email suffixes.
Once you have saved permissions, anyone who attempts to sign up for your site and does not have an accepted email suffix will be told that they cannot sign up.
Note: If no permissions are set, anyone can sign up for your site, regardless of email suffix.
Hiding Registration Steps
Click here to view a video on how you can hide registration steps.
By default, a Connect site's user registration includes the following steps:
- Basic registration questions (first name, last name, email)
- Selecting causes
- Selecting interests
- Selecting agencies
You can add an additional step for volunteer qualifications. If you wish to hide any of these steps, however, you can do so. Once you've turned off a step, it will not appear in the registration process for new users. For example, if you've set up your site to skip the "Select Causes" step, the volunteer will go straight from entering basic information to the "Select Interests" step.
To hide a step from the registration process:
- From your site manager panel, go to Settings > User Registration.
- Under User Registration Options, switch a step to OFF in order to hide it.
- Click Save Options.
If a volunteer wants to enter information later for the skipped steps, they can always go to their user profile later and update those fields.
Note: When creating a qualification, you will be given the option of making that individual qualification appear on registration. The "Qualifications" step shown above needs to be turned on for that selection to work. See Managing Qualifications for details.
Standard Registration/Profile Options
Listed below are the registration options that are available on all Connect sites. Each of these items are also included in the volunteer profile by default.
- Job Title
- Address 1 and Address 2
- City, State, and Zip Code
- Phone Number
- Mobile Number
- Contact if Disaster?
- Distance Willing to Travel?
- Birth Date
- Expected Graduation Date
- Age Range
- Favorite Agency
Note: For Age Range, Department, and Role, users select from a dropdown list. As a site manager, you can specify what is in the dropdown list for the Department and Role fields. Click here to learn more.
To view a video on volunteer availability, click here.
Adding Fields to the Registration and User Profile Form
To make a field available on the registration form, mark the applicable check box in the Registration column. To make it available on the user profile, mark the applicable check box in the Profile column. To prevent a field from showing up on one or both places, clear the check boxes as needed.
Note: All profile fields are checked by default. Registration check boxes are not.
To make a field required, mark the box in the Required column for that field. Note that when you mark the Required box, the Registration and Profile boxes are checked automatically. You can clear either of those check boxes as needed.
Note: If a question is required for registration, all new users will have to answer it before completing their registration. If it is required for the profile, they will be prompted to complete the information the next time they log in.
Department and Role
The Department and Role fields are particularly useful for Corporate Connect sites but can be used on any Connect site. Because role titles and department names vary among organizations, these dropdown fields are customizable. Note that in the listing of standard registration options, Department and Role include a link to Manage Options.
To specify options:
- Click Manage Options for the applicable field. You will be taken to a page that lists your existing options for that field, as shown in this example.
- Type an option into the Add Category field. In the above example, the site manager has typed "Administration."
- Click Add. The new option will now show up in the applicable dropdown on the user registration form.
Note: To edit or delete an option, click the applicable Edit or Delete icon to the right of the option name.
Custom Registration Options
You can add an unlimited number of custom fields to your user registration page. The Custom Registration Options area is located at the bottom of the user registration page at Settings > User Registration.
Click here for step-by-step instructions on creating custom questions.
You can access your volunteers' answers to custom registration questions in two ways:
- View data for an individual volunteer: Go to Volunteerism > Users and click on the user to view. Once their profile is displayed, scroll to the Extra Data section at the bottom of the page.
- View data for multiple volunteers: In Volunteerism > Users, run an export of users. You can export all users, or you can run a user filter and export a selected group. Answers to custom questions appear in the "Extra Data" column of the export.
The User Profile
Even if you don't ask detailed questions on the registration form, users can always edit their user profiles and add more information about themselves. By default, all of the user profile fields available are displayed on the user profile. To hide a field from the profile, clear the check box for that field as described previously.
Note: Even if you hide fields from the user's view of their profile, you will still be able to view and edit those fields from your site manager panel.