Note: This article's focus is on the next-generation Service Learning Module (SLM), released by Galaxy Digital in late 2017/early 2018. For information on the old version (Legacy SLM), click here. The SLM is an add-on module and is not part of a standard Connect platform. SLM features are only available to clients who have purchased the module.
Your course will have one or more needs assigned to it. When you first view needs on a Connect site, you'll see all of the public needs on the site, as well as any that have been made privately available to you. This article shows you a couple of ways (My User Groups and filtering needs by course) to narrow that list of needs down to the ones that are specifically associated with your course.
The default term for a course on a Connect site is SLM User Group. Your site may use a different terms for both SLM and user group. If this is the case, your screen may not match what is shown in this article.
The easiest way to find the needs assigned to your course is to go to your My User Groups area. This is the area you're taken to when you first join a user group, but you can access it anytime from your profile menu:
- From your your profile menu, click My User Groups.
Here you'll see a table of the user groups you belong to.
- Click My User Groups to be taken to the table showing all of your user groups, including any that are not courses. (Click image for a larger view.)
- From the Assigned Needs column, click View Needs. You'll be shown any needs that have been assigned to your course.
Note: Note that both SLM and non-SLM user groups can have needs assigned to them.
Another way to find the needs for your course is to use the Search by dropdown on the general Needs page.
- After logging in to your Connect site, click Needs in the left-hand navigation menu.
- From the Search by filter dropdown, select User Group. (Click image for a larger view.)
- From the User Group dropdown, select your user group.
Note: All user groups that you belong to will be listed.
- Cilck Search. The system will show only those needs that have been assigned to your user group.
If the need is privately available to your user group, you'll see a "lock" icon on the need, as shown on the "Food Factory Volunteers Needed" card below.
Once you've identified the service opportunity that most interests you, you click View Details to learn more about it.
For guidance on responding to a need as part of a course, see this article in your SLM Student Guide.
Your SLM Student Guide contains additional articles on responding to needs, logging volunteer hours, and monitoring your progress toward your course's service-learning goals.