Many volunteer opportunities include the option to register as a team. If you're interested in registering a team for a volunteer need, this article is for you! It focuses on all things team-related. Specifically, it addresses the following topics:
- Finding team-friendly volunteer opportunities
- Signing up a team
- Signing up for needs with qualifications
- Cloning your team for additional volunteer needs
- Deleting a team response
In addition, this article touches on team-management and provides a link to learn more about your capabilities as a team leader.
After you've clicked to view a need, you can tell if it accepts team signups by looking at the Respond buttons to the right of the need title.note
All team-friendly opportunities include a Respond as Team button.
You can also filter the needs on your site to display only those needs that accept teams. To view team-friendly needs:
- Click Needs in the left-hand column of your local Connect site.
Note: If your site manager has overridden the default term "needs," you may see the word "opportunities" or something similar instead.
- From the Search by dropdown, select Teams.
- In the Select Access dropdown that appears, select Accepting Teams.
- Click Search.
Your site will display only those needs that accept team sign-ups. Click View Details to learn more about a need.
Note: For needs associated with a particular date or shift, you can see the number of volunteers needed. You cannot register more team members than there are volunteer slots allowed.
Rather watch the movie? Click here to view a video on responding to an opportunity as a team!
To sign up a team for a need:
- Select a need that accepts team signups.
- Click the Respond as Team button. If you see a button that further information is needed (such as proof of qualification, or signing a waiver) see Signing Up for Needs With Qualifications.
Note: You must be logged in to respond to a need. If you try to respond but are not logged in, you'll see a pop-up that gives you the option of logging in or, if you do not already have an account, creating an account. Once you are logged in to your account, you'll be returned to the need-information page to complete your response.
- On the Team Information form that appears, enter a Team Name and a Team Description.
- Click Create Team. Note: Even though you have created a team, you cannot begin reserving slots until you've added a team leader.
- Click the Add Team Member button to add your first team member.
Note: The first person you add is automatically designated as the team leader. You can change this later. Note that an email address is required for the team leader.
- Complete the fields provided, as applicable. These will include Email, First Name, and Last Name and may include User Group and additional questions. You will only see a User Group field if the person you're signing up belongs to the same user group(s) that you do.
- From the Reserved Slots dropdown, select the number of team members you want to add (not including the team leader).
- Click Submit Member.
You are now ready to fill the slots you reserved! Slots can be filled in one of two ways:
- You can add the team members yourself. Repeat steps 5 through 8 above for each new team member.
- You can invite others to join on their own. Click the Copy Join Link button (located above the table of team members) to copy the "join link" to your clipboard.
From there, you can send the link to potential members. They can use that link to access the team sign-up page, where they can learn more about the need and sign themselves up. Click here for more information on this feature.
Note: If there are response questions or initiative questions included on the response form, the person signing up (i.e., either the team member or you, if you are signing them up) must answer those questions (if required). All team members receive an email confirming the sign-up.
Some needs on your site may require that volunteers meet certain qualifications—such as showing that they've been through training, or signing a liability waiver—before responding. Unless you've already met the qualification, you will not see a Respond button of any kind. Instead, you'll see a button indicating what additional information is needed.
If a qualification is required, you'll need to go to the My Qualifications area of your user profile and answer or upload the requested qualification information; see Qualifying for Volunteer Opportunities for more information. If a waiver or other eSigned document is needed, click the button to access the eSign document; see Signing and Submitting a Waiver Using eSign for more information. Once you've met the qualifications, you'll be able to continue your team response as described above.
If your intended team members also have not met qualifications, you'll get an error message saying they could not be added because they don't have the qualifications.
Click as instructed to send them an email that links them to the site so they can (1) meet the qualification and (2) join your team.
Note: You'll get a similar message, which includes the option to email the person, if no account is found for that team member and qualifications are required.
Click here to view a video on eSigning as a team.
Cloning Your Team
Let's say you signed up a team for a volunteer need, and you worked so well together that your group would like to volunteer as a team again. You can do this with the team-cloning feature. With this feature, you'll make a "copy" of your team in response to a need, and then you can adjust your team members accordingly.
Note: You cannot clone a team unless you are the team creator or the team leader of a previously created team.
To clone a team:
- After clicking to respond to a need as a team, then click the Clone a Team button located on the Need Response page.
- From the Clone a Team dropdown, select the team you want to clone.
Note: You will only see those teams that are eligible to respond to the selected need. To be eligible, a team must (1) fit into the available volunteer slots and (2) have you as the team creator or leader. In addition, if you are responding to an initiative and the team has not previously responded to a need within that initiative, it will not be available for cloning.
Once you have selected a team, you will see information about the original team: how many people were on, the original need and shift (if applicable) that it was created for, and the date it was created.
If this is not the team you want to clone, select a different team from the dropdown.
- Once you are viewing the team you want to clone, click Clone Team. You will see a need response page with the members of your team listed.
Note: If any of your team members have already responded to this need, they will not be included in this list.
- Make any changes necessary to the team.
- Under the Team Members heading, edit the team membership as needed. To delete a member, click the X in the applicable row. To add a member, click Add Team Member or use the Copy Join Link button.
- Under the Team Information heading, edit the team name and description as needed.
- Click Update Team to complete the team response.
Now that you've created a team, you can manage it later by accessing the My Teams area, located in your profile dropdown. See below for more information.
If you must unregister your team from a need, the agency manager will be notified immediately via email and in-app messaging.
To delete your team's response:
- From your profile dropdown, select My Teams.
You'll be taken to a table listing all of the teams you're a part of, whether as a team member or a team leader.
- Click Manage Team, located in the Options column, for the team you wish to unregister.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Unregister Team.
- Click Yes to confirm the unregistration.
Note: You cannot re-register a team once you have unregistered it.
You can manage your team from the My Teams area, which you can access from your profile dropdown. (See image above.) For more information on how to view your team details, change or assign a leader, adjust your team size, view and submit your team's volunteer hours, email your team members, and view your team resume, see our article titled Managing Your Volunteer Team.