This article applies to all Connect site administrators.
As a Site Manager, you have several options for sending messages to your site's volunteers. In addition to emailing volunteers individually, sending an email blast, or letting the automated notifications do the work, you can use the in-app messaging tool. In-app messages are accessed from the utility bar, where a "bell" icon notifies you that you have messages.
A volunteer's in-app message inbox contains two types of messages:
- Messages from the email blast and automated notifications--in other words, messages that have also been sent to the volunteer's email inbox.
- Messages sent through the in-app messaging tool in the Manager Panel.
Sending an In-app Message
Emails sent from your Manager Panel (whether as email blasts or automated notifications) are automatically copied to the volunteer's in-app messaging inbox. You can also send messages exclusively through the in-app messaging tool.
Note: If an automated notification is deactivated, it will not be sent to the volunteer's in-app messaging inbox.
To send an in-app message:
- From your Manager Panel, select Communication > In-app Messaging.
- Use the filter to select your recipients.
- Click Submit Filter. The number of filtered recipients is displayed.
- Create your message using the Subject and Message fields. Note that you can control formatting, add links, upload images, etc., using the text editor.
- Click Send Message.
Reading an In-app Message
Volunteers can access in-app messages by clicking the "bell" icon in their utility bar.
Note: The logo that is displayed to the left of each message is controlled in Site Settings. Click here to learn more.
A volunteer can click on the message to view it, or they can click Go To Inbox to view all messages in their inbox.