This article applies to all Connect site administrators.
Your Connect site's file-storage feature is useful when you want to provide a link to a PDF, Word, or other type of file that users can download. This feature is found in the Content area of your Manager Panel, and there are two steps to sharing:
- uploading the file to your Connect site's file-storage area, and
- sharing a link to the file with your volunteers, partners, and the public.
Important: Before uploading files, think about whether you want to group certain files together. If you do, you may want to create a folder before adding the files within the folder.
If you are going to be grouping files under a single "umbrella," you'll want to create a folder first. A file can be added from within a folder, but it cannot be dragged into a folder from outside it.
To create a folder:
- From your Manager Panel menu, go to Content > Files.
- In the Add Folder field, type the name of the folder.
- Click Add. The folder appears in the Files table.
If you want to add a file to the folder, click on the folder before adding the file.
To upload a file to your Connect site:
- From your Manager Panel menu, go to Content > Files. You will see a list of all files and any folders (if any) previously added to your site.
Note: If you want to upload a file to a folder, click on the folder before uploading the file. Click here to learn how to add a folder.
- Click the Add File button.
- In the Upload Files box that appears, click Upload, browse to the file to upload, and click Open.
Note: You can also drag and drop files as needed.
Once the file has been uploaded you'll see a "File added" message near the top of your screen. The file itself will be listed in the table. In the image below, two files—a JPG and a PDF—have been added.
As shown in this image, the Files table shows the type, title, and size of each file, along with options to delete or link a file. (This image also shows a folder, "Waivers." The Options area includes icons to delete the folder and edit the folder name.)
To link a user to an uploaded file:
- In the Content > Files area of your Manager Panel, under the Options heading, click the chain-link symbol for the file you wish to link. A URL is displayed below the file name, as shown in the example below.
- Copy the URL to your clipboard.
- Paste the URL as desired. You can share the URL in any number of places--a need description, social media post, newsletter, spotlight, etc.
If you have questions or would like assistance uploading files and providing links to those files, please let us know.