This article applies to all Connect site administrators. So you know, the Files area of your site is not the same as User Files. Files are site-wide. User Files are user-specific. To learn more about uploading a file to a user's profile, click here.
Are You in the Right Place?
Your Connect platform has several areas where files can be uploaded but not shared site-wide. This article focuses specifically on files that you can upload to your site and share using a unique URL. If you are looking for one of your Connect site's other file-upload features, see the links below:
- To learn how files can be uploaded to an individual user's profile, see Managing User Accounts (for site managers) or Managing Your Volunteer Profile (for volunteers).
- To learn how volunteers can upload files to show that they meet certain requirements, see Uploading Files for Qualifications.
- To learn how to upload waivers that use eSign technology, see Using eSign to Collect and Store Signed Documents.
About Files for Site-wide Use
Your Connect site's file-storage feature can be useful when you want to provide a link to a PDF, Word, or other type of file that you can share on your site for user download.. This feature is found in the Content area of your site manager, and there are two steps to sharing:
- uploading the file to your Connect site's file-storage area, and
- sharing a link to the file with your volunteers, partners, and the public.
Important: Before uploading files, think about whether you want to group certain files together. If you do, you may want to create a folder before adding the files within the folder.
Creating a Folder
If you are going to be grouping files under a single "umbrella," you'll want to create a folder first. A file can be added from within a folder, but it cannot be dragged into a folder from outside it.
To create a folder:
- From your Manager Panel menu, go to Content > Files.
- In the Add Folder field, type the name of the folder.
- Click Add. The folder appears in the Files table.
If you want to add a file to the folder, click on the folder before adding the file.
To upload a file to your Connect site:
- From your Manager Panel menu, go to Content > Files. You will see a list of all files and any folders (if any) previously added to your site.
Note: If you want to upload a file to a folder, click on the folder before uploading the file. Click here to learn how to add a folder.
- Click the Add File button.
- In the Upload Files box that appears, click Upload, browse to the file to upload, and click Open.
Note: You can also drag and drop files as needed.
Once the file has been uploaded you'll see a "File added" message near the top of your screen. The file itself will be listed in the table. In the image below, two files—a JPG and a PDF—have been added.
As shown in this image, the Files table shows the type, title, and size of each file, along with options to delete or link a file. (This image also shows a folder, "Waivers." The Options area includes icons to delete the folder and edit the folder name.)
To link a user to an uploaded file:
- In the Content > Files area of your Manager Panel, under the Options heading, click the chain-link symbol for the file you wish to link. A URL is displayed below the file name, as shown in the example below.
- Copy the URL to your clipboard.
- Paste the URL as desired. You can share the URL in any number of places--a need description, social media post, newsletter, spotlight, etc.
If you have questions or would like assistance uploading files and providing links to those files, please let us know.