Note: This article's focus is on the next-generation Service Learning Module (SLM), released by Galaxy Digital in late 2017/early 2018. For information on the old version (Legacy SLM), click here. The SLM is an add-on module and is not part of a standard Connect platform. SLM features are only available to clients who have purchased the module.
As a site manager, you can add specific agencies to specific courses. This article goes into the "why" and "how" of adding an agency to a course. For more information, check out the Related Articles list at the bottom of this page.
Note: A course is a type of user group, as explained in this article. This article uses the terms "course" and "user group" interchangeably, but it uses the default "user group" when referring to buttons, tables, and other items as they appear on the default screen.
You should add an agency to a course if you want the course instructor to be able to post needs on behalf of that agency.
Note: In Legacy SLM, an agency had to be added to a course before the agency manager could assign a need to that course. This is no longer the case. An agency can now assign any of its needs to any course at any time, regardless of whether it has been add to the course. In the new SLM (released late 2017/early 2018), adding an agency to a course primarily benefits the course instructor who wishes to post needs for their students on the agency's behalf.
To add an agency to a course:
- From your site manager panel, go to Volunteerism > User Groups.
- In the table of user groups, click on a user group to open the Update User Group form.
- Scroll down to the User Group Agencies section.
- Begin typing the name of the agency into the text box to the left of the Add New Agency button. If the agency is active on your site, it will appear below the text box.
- After selecting the agency, click Add New Agency.
The agency now shows up in the User Group Agencies table for that course/user group.
Now that the agency has been added to the course, the course's instructor can select it in their User Group Leader Portal (Instructor Portal) when adding a need for their students.
Note: To remove an agency from a course, return to the User Group Agencies table, click the applicable X in the Options column, and click Yes to confirm.
Check out these articles on managing course management in your site's SLM:
- Setting Up an SLM Course
- Adding a Course to a Block
- Adding Instructors and Students to a Course
- Adding Reflection Questions to a Course
- Adding a Need to a Course
For an overview of the Service Learning Module, see Service Learning on Your Connect Platform.