Once a block has been created in the Service Learning Module, you can begin adding courses. This article explains how to add an existing course to an existing block. To learn about creating blocks, click here. To learn about creating courses, click here.
All Connect platforms have a User Groups feature, handy for making needs privately available to a selected group, such as employees of a company, individuals with required qualifications, or students in a course. SLM platforms feature a special SLM User Group type. In essence, SLM User Groups are courses; unlike non-SLM User Groups, they can be assigned active date ranges, User Group Leaders (instructors), and Blocks (academic terms). If you wish to override the terms SLM, User Group, Leader, or Block on your site, contact our Customer Care team.
The screenshots in this article feature the following overrides:
- User Group has been overridden by Course or Group.
- User Groups (plural) has been overridden by Courses & Groups.
This override may be a good choice if you'll be assigning needs to both courses and campus groups and clubs.
There are two ways to add an existing course (user group) to an existing block:
Once a course (user group) has been added to a block, it can be removed at any time.
To add a course to a block from the blocks-management area:
- From your Site Manager Panel, go to Volunteerism > User Groups, and then click the Blocks heading. In the screenshot below, User Groups has been overridden by Courses & Groups.
- Click on the block to which you want to add a course.
- Scroll down to the User Groups section at the bottom of the Update Block page.
- Select a course from the dropdown provided.
- Click the Add User Group button. In the example above, the User Group has been overridden by Course or Group.
Now that you've added the course, it appears in the User Groups table at the bottom of the page. In this example, User Groups has been overridden by Courses & Groups.
Typically, a site manager will add a course to a block when they are creating the course. If a course does already not have a block assigned, you can assign a block by editing the course. To add a course to a block from the course-management area:
- From your Site Manager Panel, go to Volunteerism > User Groups.
- From the Manage User Groups table, select the course that you wish to add to a block.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Update User Group form to the Service Learning area, and select a block from the Block dropdown.
- Click Update User Group.
Now that your assigned a block to the course, the block will appear in the Manage User Groups table.
Check out these related articles to learn more about using the Service Learning Module: