This article is for Connect platform site managers. For related articles, see Other Helpful Articles below.
What is a Question Type?
A question type really refers to the format of the answer you want to receive. There are four main types of answers you can collect for qualifications:
- Volunteer types in an answer
- Volunteer selects an answer from a list
- Volunteer uploads a file
- Volunteer eSigns a waiver
The following question types are available for obtaining volunteer qualification information. Data for all qualifications (other than waivers) can be collected as part of the registration process. Waiver eSignatures can be collected via the volunteer's My Qualifications area of their profile, or in the process of responding to a need that requires a waiver.
Note: Check box question types are not allowed for qualifications. To learn why, see this forum post.
|Small text field||For open-ended questions; user types in a brief answer. Question appears inside the text box.|
|Large text field||For open-ended questions requiring an answer of more than a few words. Question appears above the text box.|
|Dropdown||Options shown in a dropdown list; user can select only one.|
|Radio button||User clicks a round "button" to select an option; can select only one.|
|File Upload||Available for qualifications only; volunteer uploads a file. Click here to learn more.|
|Waiver||Available for qualifications only; volunteer opens and signs an electronic waiver using eSign technology. Click here to learn more.|
Questions are created in the Manage Qualifications area. To access this area, go to your site manager panel and click Volunteerism > Qualifications, and then click to add or edit a qualification.
To create a qualification question:
- Type the text of the question into the Question field.
- Select a question type.
- If an additional field appears (this will happen for dropdown, radio button, and waiver question types only), completed those fields as applicable; see the table above for guidance.
- After completing all other fields on the form, click the button to create or update the qualification.
Important: To ensure that your data is uniform, try not to change a question once users have begun entering answers.
More detailed information on this form, and on qualifications in general, is provided in the article Managing Qualifications.
If this article wasn't what you needed, try these:
- For information on question types in general (for user registration, advanced events, hours-submission and need-response questions, etc.), see the article Collecting Data with Custom Questions.
- For more information on managing qualifications, see Managing Qualifications.
- If you are an agency manager, see Assigning Qualifications to Needs to learn more about using qualifications.
- For information on waiver qualifications, see Waiver Qualifications: A Guide for Site Managers
- Volunteers who wish to submit qualifications should go to Qualifying for Volunteer Opportunities.
- If you are a volunteer who needs to qualify for a volunteer opportunity, see Qualifying for Volunteer Opportunities.