Custom User Fields Should Allow to Access Only in Profile not Registration

I suggested this back when we first moved to this software in 2017. And now that I'm looking again I realize why we don't use what would be a great tool, the option to add custom fields in user accounts because they all show in Registration. We want Registration to be quick and the same for everyone. We want to add fields in the user record that we can tell specific groups of users to go to their profile and edit. Or would allow us as admin to edit. The checkboxes you have set for the standard fields to chose whether they would be included in Registration and/or Profile is needed for us to use this option. This is really critical for our needs currently because we are continuing to run separate databases for separate programs and I want all our volunteer content to reside in Galaxy. The options are there already to add custom fields in user accounts, but what is needed is to allow them to be treated like all the other user fields that you already have set for us to have choice of whether or not to show in registration.  And IF by any chance this is close to being implemented, we also would like to see the field types to be expanded to include date fields and text only - for headers. BUT, if that makes it take longer and it is pretty simple to give us the options to show custom fields in registration or not, please, please, please make that change :) 

1 person likes this idea

Hi Molly, thank you for reaching out! 

This is a really interesting idea, and the use of custom fields is something that does come up in enhancement discussions fairly regularly. I can definitely see some situations where the ability to create custom user fields and then decide whether they should show up in registration and the user's profile would be helpful. 

I will make sure to update this in our list of enhancements with the additional details you have provided here. There are some aspects of this idea that are pretty specific to the way you are running your site, so I will provide additional information in the ticket you and I currently have open. 

As always, we appreciate your feedback!

Is there an update on this? This a feature that would be beneficial for my site as well.

1 person likes this

Hi Samantha, thanks for writing in to the forums! 

I don't have an update on this feature request, but I have made sure to note your support for this idea and will make sure to bring this to the team in our upcoming enhancement meeting. I appreciate you taking the time to write into the forum and voice your support for this idea! 

Login or Signup to post a comment