Simplify New User Volunteer Response by Clicking "Respond" Once Instead of Twice

After having Galaxy for about a year, the single biggest issue for my site is new volunteers signing up through a volunteer opportunity link by hitting "Respond" and then not clicking "Respond" again after they create an account to finish the signup for an opportunity. It has happened for every volunteer opportunity I've listed and is a huge issue for bigger opportunities when there's deadlines for registering like a t-shirt deadline and they miss out. 

Is there a way to have the system automatically complete the volunteer response after they complete the account registration so they don't have to click "Respond" twice? I've tried to highlight in all of my volunteer opportunities that they need to click "Respond" twice as a new user, but it's still happening for opportunities since volunteers think they've fully registered after filling out all of their information and clicking "Respond."

1 person likes this idea

Hi Samantha, 

Thank you for adding your suggestion to the Forum! From my understanding, here is the suggestion: 

Once a volunteer completes a  Qualification required for that Opportunity, their response will be automatically added to that Opportunity. 

Is that correct, or am I missing a piece? Thank you and letting me know! 

Thank you and I hope you have a fantastic day!

Autum Brown, Education Manager

Hi Autumn, 

When you say "Qualification," would that include new account registration? If not, to give an example of what I mean, say an unregistered volunteer clicks on a Facebook ad for a cleanup opportunity on our Get Connected page. When they hit "Respond" on the cleanup opportunity page and don't have an account, the system prompts them to create a volunteer account and then they're brought back to the cleanup page. To finish the response for the cleanup, volunteers need to hit "Respond" again. Unfortunately, volunteers are not clicking "Respond" a second time to complete the response for the cleanup opportunity since they think hitting "Respond" on the cleanup page once and filling out their account registration is the complete registration. 

What I'm recommending is that they don't have to click "Respond" twice as a new user and hitting it once both creates their account and automatically completes the response for the volunteer opportunity. Does that make sense? 

Thank you for responding back to my suggestion! Like I said, this is the single biggest issue on our site right now and if it could be fixed, it would be a huge help for my site!

Good morning Samantha! 

Thank you very much for getting back to me with this detailed explanation. I appreciate the extra context, and I have a better understanding of your request! It sounds like Qualifications are not an aspect -- instead it is the process of attempting to respond to an opportunity before the volunteer has joined your site. Here is what I am going to write up on our internal enhancements board for our developers to review: 

"Currently when a logged out volunteer clicks Respond, they are prompted to sign in to an existing account or create a new user account. If they create a new user account, the user completes registration but has not also responded to the Opportunity. To make sure that their response is recorded, the user's response will be added as soon as the user completes registering on the site." 

Please let me know if I am missing the mark, or if I can add any additional clarity! 

Have a great rest of your day, 

1 person likes this

Thank you for following up! That's exactly what I mean!

Hi Samantha, 

Wonderful! Thank you Samantha. We will respond on this thread if there are any updates. 

Thank you and have a great day!

Login or Signup to post a comment