Simplifying the background check qualification /requirement and notification process

We are one-year new to the system and so far are enjoying the platform. However, we have some ease of use concerns for volunteers and staff when setting up multi qualification opportunities.

This year we are setting up our volunteer coaches for the first time and they do not have profiles set up in the system yet. We have created an initiative for youth coaches that are required to complete Coach Conduct Waiver, Concussion Training and upload certificate (Set to auto-approve) as well as complete a background check through our connection with Sterling Volunteers before signing up for the opportunity.  We have been testing different processes over the last two weeks to simplify the process for our new volunteers.  We are now in the process of writing step by step instructions because our own staff can't figure out the system and next steps and we need to be able to explain to all parties involved. 

We originally created the initiative with an opportunity that had the two qualifications (Conduct and Concussion) set to auto-approve as well as the background check screening requirement.  For those new sign-ups, they completed the profile set-up and the last step “Qualifications” included the mandatory volunteer waiver for all profiles along with the links for completing the two qualifications.   From there, you hit continue to the next step, and it takes you to "Congratulations! You've set up your account. Just one more short step: Click Continue below." (This text should be customizable as it doesn't really tell you that you need to respond to the opportunity again.) Once you hit continue, it takes you back to the opportunity within the initiative and the blue “Respond” box is available. One our volunteers have responded, completed their profile and qualifications, they think they have completed their requirements and nothing else is needed from them.  At this point, there is nothing to say that they need to hit “Respond” again and complete the background check questions, then create another profile account for Sterling Volunteers and wait for their background check to come back.  Then once they receive their eligibility for the background check they receive another email notification telling them to once again respond to the opportunity and the answer their initiative questions.   Essentially, the volunteer is clicking the respond button three different times.  This is extremely confusing and frustrating for all parties involved.  If background checks are tied to the opportunity, there should be a separate button to click to complete their background check.   It would be ideal if they were able to respond to the opportunity including qualifications and answering initiative questions at one time, put the volunteer in pending mode until the background check eligibility is complete.  From there, our program/agency managers can go into the opportunity and mark the volunteer as eligible or confirmed once we have reviewed their background check.  This eliminates the confusion of waiting for the background check, another email and answering questions from the volunteer on the next steps.  The volunteer shouldn't need to log in three times to respond.  They want a simple process.   Also, if the volunteer opts out of email notifications, then they are unaware of the next steps to respond to the opportunity again and we have lost them at this point. 

We have created a simpler solution for the volunteer perspective but adds additional work for the program/agency manager.   We have now created an opportunity with the two qualifications only (set to auto approve) and a separate private opportunity for background checks that we can send them separately with directions once we know they have responded to our opportunity.   By doing this, they are able to complete their initiative questions and respond to the opportunity.  But now, we are adding another step for staff to cross reference to see that the background check is complete and the volunteer is approved.  It would be ideal that when the volunteer has completed the background check, that they could see it in their Galaxy Digital profile, that they are eligible and include expiration date.   This makes it easier for the volunteer and the program/agency manager to look at the user instead of looking at the responses tab and or logging into Sterling Volunteers to get a report of all qualified screened volunteers.   

It would also be ideal when setting up qualifications to 1) have a notes field that can be tied to each required qualification to explain details surrounding the qualification, 2) show the links in a different color that stands out with an underline/hyperlink instead of just saying "Click to Sign", and 3) having numbered steps next to each qualification. 

The other suggestion is to have the option to customize the notifications by program/agency and program/agency specific contact details so that the responses are tailored to the type of opportunity that the volunteer responded to.   This would be similar to how you can add the initiative template keys to those messages.   The reason for the request is that our platform is shared with ten agency/program managers who manage their own opportunities and pool of volunteers.  We do not have a centralized volunteer coordinator that responds to all volunteers.   

Thank you for allowing me to share my requests with your team. 

For further clarification on the background checks, when we were testing and reviewing the background checks, we were doing this from the Site Manager screen and not the Program Manager screen where they are able to view their Sterling Volunteers in the Program tabs.   My apologies for not knowing that there are two different views.  

However, I was wondering if it is possible to add the Opportunity response by Initiative Report can be added to the Program/Agency Manager since they are the ones managing their opportunities and also need to export the responses to their initiative questions tied to the opportunity to further manage their opportunity.  

Hi Jennifer, 

Thank you for submitting your product suggestions! It’s really valuable to have the context of your use case and where you see room for improvement for user experience and workflow.

I think Tracks could help support some of the unique workflow for coaches and their requirements. I understand you all are leveraging a track for general user registration and you may have already determined this was not the best fit for you all, but please reach out to us at support@galaxydigital.com if we can be of assistance or provide recommendations!

I’ve outlined the requests below from your email, please let me know if I have missed anything or if you have additional information you’d like to include to further support your request.

1. Customizable text in the user registration process where Congratulations! You've set up your account. Just one more short step: Click Continue below appears.

1.  Make it more obvious that users have created their account but not responded after they complete their qualifications 

• Any thoughts on the language that would be a good fit for this? Would love to hear your thoughts!

1. Additional instructions about Sterling Volunteer background checks. For example, including the need to create an account through Sterling Volunteers and that a background check is a part of their process.

4. Create a button that is separate from Respond for users to click and complete their background check

5. Force the Notice of Qualified Status to send to the user by email, even if they have opted out of email notifications.

6. I’ve grouped the items that are related to qualification appearance below:

•  Add a notes field that can be tied to each required qualification, to explain details surrounding the qualification 

• Show the qualification links in a different color that stands out with an underline/hyperlink

• Provide an option to have numbered steps next to each qualification

7. Have the option to customize the notifications by program/agency and program/agency specific contact details so that the responses are tailored to the type of opportunity that the volunteer responded to.  This would be similar to how you can add the initiative template keys to those messages. 

• I’m happy to share that this can be accomplished by leveraging the comment field within an opportunity and include the additional  information you would like to share with users when they respond.

• After a comment is added to an opportunity, a {{need_comment}} template key will become available in the Need Response Thank You template and if added, users will see comments for an opportunity in the notification after responding. 

8. Add the Opportunity response by Initiative Report to the Program/Agency Manager area for review and management of initiative related responses.

Please let me know if this captures the product suggestions you would like to make or if there are any edits, additions, or clarification you’d like to add. We appreciate your thoughtful suggestions and will include them in the list of items to review.

Have a great day!

Beth

Login or Signup to post a comment