User groups for shifts in addition to opportunities

This situation may be unique to us, but I have a suggestion that would really help our organization out - especially those we serve directly. 

We have an opportunity where folks can sign up to help build a habitat home. Ideally, this would just be one opportunity, to reduce the number of places volunteers and future homeowners need to search for available shifts. 

Our current model is as follows: we have construction Wednesday-Saturday, but on Wednesdays, we only allow "regulars" and future homeowners on site. In order to hide this from other individuals, we had to post this as a separate opportunity titled, "Johnson Village-Wednesdays." The trouble here is that these individuals now have to look in two places to sign up for opportunities if they would like to volunteer on other days of the week. The biggest issue with this is that most of our "regulars" are older and struggle with technology, and many of our future homeowners do not speak English as their first language, so this search for shifts has added an unfortunate burden. 

A new issue I am facing is with groups. We have groups come out on site regularly. Our current model for this is as follows: We are listing these dates on our original "Johnson Village" opportunity, creating a team, and maxing out their capacity so individuals can not sign up for these days. While there is a waitlist, I worry our future homeowners are hesitant to add themselves to the waitlist, even though we have explained to them that this is the best option. (I suspect the waitlist is an issue because there are always more future homeowners signed up for days with no waitlist). 

I was brainstorming with a coworker yesterday on how to improve this issue, and we considered posting a separate opportunity titled, "Johnson Village - Groups," where we make it private so only future homeowners and added teams can see these, but my hesitancy to do so comes with creating yet a third space for future homeowners to look for opportunities. 

I feel this entire issue could be resolved if we were able to add particular shifts within an opportunity as "private, open to ____ user group," in addition to entire opportunities. 

It would be wonderful if you could please consider this feature. Thank you.

(Hopefully that all made sense)

1 Comment

Hi Miranda,

Thanks for reaching out with your suggestion about the ability to make specific shifts private within an opportunity! The detailed examples in the scenarios you shared are so valuable and I’ll add this information to our list of product suggestions to review for potential enhancements.

I understand that the ideal result is to streamline the areas where a volunteer would search when looking for opportunities. Creating a private opportunity for Johnson Village - Groups and sharing the link for this opportunity directly with those eligible to respond could help bring you closer to that goal!

Creating a user group for the regulars and assigning the public and private Johnson Village related opportunities is another option to explore. Once opportunities are assigned to a user group, they can be found in the My User Group area of a user profile by clicking on View Opportunities for the user group. Should you want to explore the user group and private opportunity workflow further with the customer experience team, please don’t hesitate to send an email to us at support@galaxydigital.com and we’ll be happy to help!

I appreciate the time you took to share your suggestion with us. If there are additional scenarios you would like to share or any other thoughts you’d like to add around private shifts, you can reply right here!

Have a great day!

Beth

Login or Signup to post a comment