This article is geared toward agency managers who wish to manage their shift needs. If you are a site manager, check out this article on the volunteer scheduling for site managers. To learn how to create volunteer responses for non-shift needs, see
Click here to view a video on volunteer scheduling for agency managers.
The Schedule section of your agency management area features a calendar that displays your agency's shift needs (custom and recurring shifts), as well as your volunteers' responses. With this calendar, you can:
- click a link for easy access to needs and need responses
- see how many slots have been filled for a shift, and how many remain
- see which of your past volunteers are likely to be available for shift
- invite people to sign up for shifts that still need volunteers
- assign available volunteers to shifts
Note: The calendar displays shift needs only. It does not display happens on, runs until, or ongoing needs. For information on managing non-shift needs, see Scheduling Volunteers for Needs.
Accessing the Calendar
The calendar is located in the Schedule section of your agency-management area.
The calendar has two views: one to view the volunteers who are registered for shifts on a particular day, and another to view the shifts. Click the Show button on the right hand side of the page to change from the current view.
Select a month from the Month dropdown to view a different month. Click the Filter dropdown to filter the calendar data by the distance from a selected ZIP code or by phrase (from the title or description).
The "Show Users View"
The Show Users view lists all volunteers that are scheduled to work on a given day. If more than five users are listed for a single day, you can click the View More button to open a full listing.
Hold your cursor over a volunteer's name (don't click) to see the details of the shift.
Click on a name to be taken to the need information page.
The "Show Shifts" View
The Show Shifts view lists all shifts for each day in the calendar. If more than five shifts are scheduled for a single day, you can click the View More button to open a full listing.
Hover your cursor over a shift to see its details, including how many slots have been filled and how many are still available.
Click on a shift to view the responses, see a list of available volunteers for the shift, invite volunteers to register, or add available volunteers to a shift.
Note: Your site's settings may not allow agency managers to use the scheduling feature. If that is the case, nothing will happen with you click on a shift title.
Viewing Shift Responses
Note: This feature may not be available for all sites.
The table of responses lists all volunteers who have responded to the selected shift, including their name, email address, team (if applicable), and shift start time. From this table, you can:
- Click the volunteer's name to view their shift schedule (and edit it, if needed).
- Click the volunteer's email address to send them an email message.
- Edit or delete the volunteer's need response.
- Add volunteer hours, either for an individual or in bulk.
- Export the listed responses to a spreadsheet.
Click here to learn more about editing and deleting responses, adding hours, and exporting responses.
Note: You cannot add a new response from this area. To add a response, go to the Needs section of your agency management area and scroll down to the Manually Add a Need Response section. Click here for more information.
Engaging Available Volunteers
Note: This feature may not be available for all sites.
When you click on a shift in the calendar, you'll also see a table of available volunteers. Here is an example:
This table displays volunteers who meet all of the following criteria:
- Their availability, as entered in their user profiles, indicates that they are available for the shift.
- They have not already responded to a shift that occurs at the same time.
- They have not opted out of scheduling in their user profiles (meaning they agree to let a site manager or agency manager schedule them for open volunteer slots).
Note: You can use the Table Filter to view (or hide) the volunteers' information, including their qualifications, their interests, and their user groups. You can also filter the columns by keyword.
You can engage your volunteers for a shift in either of the following ways:
- Invite them to register for the shift. Mark the box next to each volunteer you want to invite, and then click the Invite Volunteers button. Once the invite has been sent, the checkbox turns into an "envelope" icon.
- Register them for the shift. Click on the volunteer's name to view all of the shifts for the need. The current day's shift will be marked automatically. Select any additional shifts and a user group as applicable, and then click Submit Need Response.
Once a volunteer has been registered for a shift, they'll be notified by email an in their in-app messaging inbox that they've been registered.
Note: Site managers have the same capabilities described here. If you see that a volunteer has been invited to sign up for a shift and you didn't send the invitation, it may be because a site manager (or another agency manager) has already taken this step.
Volunteer Engagement: Automated Notifications
Volunteer invitations and scheduling from the areas described above will trigger the following automated notifications:
- Schedule Recruitment - Sent to a volunteer when you've used the Invite Volunteers button described above to let them know about an available shift.
- Schedule Assignment - Sent to a volunteer when you assign them to one or more shifts. This message includes the dates and times of the assigned shifts.
Check out these related articles on how you as an agency manager can manage volunteer responses to your agency's needs:
- Scheduling Volunteers for Needs - Learn the different ways to schedule volunteers for needs, and when one approach is better than the other. This article is geared toward both agency managers and site managers.
- Managing Your Agency's Need Responses - Learn how to submit hours for volunteers and add, remove, or edit non-shift responses for a volunteer.
- Managing Your Volunteer Profile - Learn more about how volunteers can indicate their availability and (if desired) opt out of scheduling.